Artist Transforms Humans Into Art Using Body Paint

Seoul based artist Corey Malcolm Lajeunesse painted beautiful landscapes on human body. We have reached him to know more about his inspiration. Here what he had to say.

I am 43 y.o., from Canada, but have been in South Korea for the past 11 years. I have a background in drawing, but painting is new to me, and painting on bodies has only been happening for the past 3 years. I love nature, and fine art ideas, animals, and abstract concept.

More info: Facebook | Instagram


* How did you find your style? Has it changed since you started?

I don't know if I really have found my style yet or not. I have tried different things, and I am still learning.  With every project I do, I try to challenge myself more, push a little further, and learn some new skill. The current landscape work is where I am now, but I still want to work on developing skills with airbrush, color blending, and a LOT of new design skills.




* What inspires you to create these amazing art work?

I am inspired by beautiful images/photos, the things that I see day to day, the work of other artists, and by the models themselves. When I am putting together a new piece, if I have a model with no concept yet, I try to engage him/her in conversation to include elements that both express my ideas, and make it more personal for them as well.




* How do you come up with new ideas? Do you have a process?

I spend a lot of time on Google images. I look for photos of places/things/animals that strike me somehow. Then I try to think of ways I can incorporate a body into the concept. I think about not just the image I want to put together, but the shape of the model I need, and what I will do for a background. With the most recent works, I have to paint the backdrops before I even think about recruiting a model for it. That can be time consuming, depending on the simplicity or complexity of what I hope to accomplish. As for a process, I first look for an idea/inspiration. Then i will sit in a coffee shop and do some quick sketches, trying to figure out the composition I want. Next I will try to decide what kind/shape model I would like for the piece. Finally, I try to recruit/arrange the model. Often times, once the model arrives (especially if it is a new model), I have to do some tweaking to fit things between the concept and the project itself. I do the painting and photography right here in my studio, and then finally do a little bit of tweaking in post process (color adjusting/blemishes/etc).




* Most Challenging Aspect that comes through your work?

The most challenging thing for me is always in developing a new skill, or coming up with a new idea. It becomes easy to continue doing what becomes familiar, and I often go through periods where I have nothing new coming to mind, where nothing is 'clicking' to inspire me. I have to be moved by the idea, where by passion, or whimsy, before I can even start developing it in my own mind.



* What are the future Plans?

As for future plans. I hope to continue to improve and develop new pieces, and develop a market for fine art body paint collectors here in South Korea, eventually marketing my work to the world (limited fine art prints, commissioned pieces/etc).


Have something to add to this story? Share it in the comments.
Powered by Blogger.