Artist Make Realistic Animals From Paper


Germany based illustrator and paper artist Tina Kraus make paper sculptures with fine crepe paper. Her paper artwork includes pop-up books, paper toys. We have reached her to know more about her inspiration. Here what she had to say.

More Info: Facebook | Web | Instagram | Youtube


* How did you find your style? Has it changed since you started?

I have crafted and experimented with paper since I was a kid. For a long time I mostly focused on paper engineering for pop-up books, cards and paper toys.

About two years ago I saw some amazing crepe paper flowers online and started to make some myself. At first I created some traditional flowers like peonies or cos-meas, but I was curious what else I could do with it. So I made a not-so-traditional plant, the Venus flytrap. Then, I tried to make insects and soon after that the gecko.


* What inspires you to create these amazing art work?

I’m mostly inspired by nature and the diversity of creatures that have evolved on our planet. 


* How do you come up with new ideas? Do you have a process?

I like watching wildlife documentaries for inspiration or find wildlife photos online. When I see an insect or other animal that interests me, I do more research on it, collect reference pictures and start with a sketch of what I want to do. Then I find the fitting paper or sometimes dye the paper if I can’t find a good match and get to work. 


* Most Challenging Aspect that comes through your work?

The insects are very small and I would like to make them as close to nature as possible. So getting the details right in that scale is quite a challenge. 


* What are the future Plans?

I have a lot of ideas for other animals and plants that I want to recreate, so I want to make time to work on these. Also it would be great to have an exhibition of my work somewhere!



Have something to add to this story? Share it in the comments.
Powered by Blogger.