Artist Transform Popular Superheroes into Dragons

Africa (Cape Town) Based illustrator and concept artist Lynton Levengood created a fun series of "The Modern Dragons" in which he re-imagined popular comic characters as dragon. We have reached him to know more about his inspiration. Here what he had to say.

I'm passionate about fantasy art and love dragons. When I'm not creating production artwork for animation studios I devote my time to my blog ‘The Modern Dragon’, where I write about the living habits and behaviors of the dragons that live in our modern society.

More Info: Web | Facebook | Youtube

Iron Dragon


* How did you find your style? Has it changed since you started? 

I never focused on my style, I'm always trying to improve my art and to push myself. I would say that my style is probably the sum of my influences. As a child I loved the art of John Howe and James Gurney. I have added many more artists to my admiration list but they where the first to capture my imagination. I think my style has changed since I started for better or worse. I Used to focus intently on details above everything and all over an artwork but I must say I prefer a more energetic style now and only add detail where I feel it's needed for the piece.

Bat Dragon
Nightcrawler Dragon
Storm Dragon
* What inspires you to create these amazing art work?

I'm inspired by the world around me. I look for the humor in things and try bring that into my work. A good fantasy book, film or game can also be inspiring. Though I have cut back on the gaming as I don't have time any more.

Super Dragon
Dragonpool Dragon
* How do you come up with new ideas? Do you have a process?

It depends, Sometimes I will see something and it will spark an idea. Other times old word rhymes or sayings but in a modern funny context. Sometimes just drawing and sketching turns up un-expected ideas.

Loki Dragon
Hulk Dragon
* Most Challenging Aspect that comes through your work?

When I'm doing concept art every day has new challenges. I'm often drawing things I have never drawn before or would have thought of or chose to draw on my own. That makes it both challenging and exciting. With my own personal work the challenge comes with developing a story and adding meaning to the art I do. Especially with my modern dragon art. The story and idea is the most important part. After that the only other challenge is painting in traditional media, which is something I'm still learning.

Venom Dragon 
Wolverine Dragon
* What are the future Plans?

My future plans right now are to create a modern dragon book (which I have started writing) and to keep making good art.

Ghost Rider Dragon
Have something to add to this story? Share it in the comments.
Powered by Blogger.