Artist Create These Artworks Completely Out Of Paper

Award winning London Based Illustrator Gail Armstrong is working with paper sculpture. Her 3D paper cut style is absolutely one of a kind, yet adaptable, utilized for showing individuals, creatures, structures, maps and outlines, from promoting to youngster's books.

More Info: Facebook | Web


* How did you find your style? Has it changed since you started? 

Even as a child I was always making things and paper was a cheap medium that was available. When I was studying for my degree at Glasgow School of Art we had a 2 week paper workshop and I realized then that it was my medium - making forms in paper just came naturally to me. I qualified as a Graphic Designer and Illustrator in 1987, completed a Post Graduate in 1988 then worked as a graphic designer in London. However I continued to have the odd commission for paper illustrations from people who had seen my graduation show and over time I decided that I should follow my heart, and favor illustration over Graphics. My paper style is constantly developing as with each new commission, I face new challenges and discover new things that I can do with paper. In the last few years I have been combining working digitally with the traditional paper skills so I can create my own papers, play around with scale and generally create more elaborate and flexible images than I have in the past.




* What inspires you to create these amazing paper sculpture art work? 

Most of my work is commissioned briefs so my ideas are in response to a set of requirements. However, I often find that having a brief gives me something to push against, pushing the boundaries, so the result is often more creative than if I work with a totally open brief. But the paper itself is often the inspiration - folding or curving it to catch the light can make the ordinary extraordinary. For me that's like a form of magic.




* How do you come up with new ideas? Do you have a process? 

I begin each new image with research - both about the subject matters and gathering visual stimulus. I sketch out ideas, and then select my favorite to create a line drawing. The drawing will later become the basis fro my templates, so I am considering the practicalities of how I will construct the piece as I draw. Then it's over to scalpel, paper and glue to make the paper sculpture. Then finally it's photographed, either as a whole or as individual elements to be pieced together in layers in Photoshop.




* Most Challenging Aspect that comes through your work?

Time is always my greatest challenge. Nothing about my style is quick to produce!




* What are the future Plans?

I am working on my own children's book - and have been for several years in between commissions! However 2016 is the year I have decided to actually finish it!


Have something to add to this story? Share it in the comments.
Powered by Blogger.